Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fun with Dick and Jane

It's A Girl!
After several months of suspense we now know that our Indian Runner Duck is in fact a female. We had been alternating between calling them "Dick and Jane" and "Goofus and Gallant" or mostly I just call them birds - as in "Birds get out of the garden" (who knew ducks love onions?) but Dick and Jane it is...After checking for weeks and weeks, and pretty much giving up, I went to clean their pen this week and found nine eggs. She has laid an egg a day all this week, so we've started saving them in the fridge.
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this is where Dr. Suess got the idea for "Green Eggs and Ham." I haven't been brave enough to try one yet, but my son has and he says they "taste just like chicken (eggs.)"
Apparently back in the day, duck eggs were saved for baking as they make the fluffiest cakes. So I'll think I'll break myself in gradually and start with baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment